“As an individual or a community of individuals, we can’t change what we won’t acknowledge. ”
Accidental drug overdose deaths are now the leading cause of death in the United States, exceeding even motor vehicle accidents among people ages 25-64
Henderson County Facts
* NC Division of Public Health, NC Injury & Violence Prevention Branch, 2011
- From 2002-2011, the rate of unintentional poisoning deaths was 12.5 deaths per 100,000 residents.
- In the 10-year period from 2002 to 2011,164 deaths were due to poisoning. Of these,125 (76%) were unintentional poisonings.
- 90% of all unintentional poisoning deaths were drug/medication-related overdose deaths.
- Opioid analgesics (methadone, other opioids, synthetic narcotics) were the top three contributors.
According to the Henderson County Sheriff’s Department:
- As many as 3-4 deaths per month are attributed to overdose
- 7-10 overdoses weekly are treated by first responders
- 80-85% of all crimes in Henderson County are linked to substance abuse